What is Teen Court?
Teen court is a volunteer program that allows juvenile Class C misdemeanor offenders to pay for their citation by completing community service hours.
Defendants’ cases are presented to a jury of their peers. Volunteer teen attorneys will represent the defendant. Teen jurors assign community service hours according to the discipline grid. Upon successful completion, the case is dismissed.
Teen Court Eligibility
Juveniles age 13 - 18 who are currently enrolled in an accredited secondary educational program may request teen court from the municipal judge for most Class C misdemeanors filed in the City of Plano Municipal Court. The defendant must enter a plea of no contest or guilty before the Municipal Court. A teen may enroll only once in a 12 month period. Parental consent and participation is required.
- If the defendant chooses to plead not guilty, the case cannot be heard in teen court.
- If the defendant chooses not to sign the teen court agreement form, the case will not be heard in teen court.
- To be eligible to participate in the Teen Court program, Defendant must plead guilty to a Teen Court jury of their peers.
- Assortments of community service placements are available to defendants. Defendants are responsible for setting up their own schedule with the agencies. Anytime a defendant has a problem with a placement, the defendant must inform the teen court coordinator immediately. Any agency has the right to refuse to allow a teen to work at their agency.
- A defendant can serve his/her community service hours only at the places listed on the Plano Municipal Court Community Service Placement Sites List. Community service performed elsewhere will not be accepted.
Why Should I Go to Teen Court?
- Teen court holds the teen accountable for their offense
- Saves the teen or parent from paying the fine
- Keeps offense off the juvenile’s record
- Gives the teen an opportunity for a positive learning experience
- Increase teen awareness of current laws
Teen Court Volunteers
Volunteering to work for teen court is an educational and rewarding opportunity for teens. Teen court is usually held on a Monday evening. Volunteers should arrive no later than 5:30 p.m. Court begins at 6 p.m.