Frequently Asked Questions

1. When is garbage collection, recycling or bulky waste pick-up scheduled for my area?

2. How long can I expect street construction to continue at a particular area?

3. Where can I get information about my recreation center account?

For login information or questions about a membership, class or camp, please email Parks Information.

You can call any recreation center directly:

  • Carpenter Recreation Center: 972-208-8087
  • Douglass Community Center: 972-424-6301
  • Jack Carter Pool: 972-208-8081
  • Liberty Recreation Center: 972-769-4234
  • Oak Point Recreation Center: 972-941-7540
  • Plano Aquatic Center: 972-769-4232
  • Sam Johnson Recreation Center for Adults 50+: 972-941-7155
  • Harry Rowlinson Community Natatorium: 972-769-4232
  • Tom Muehlenbeck Recreation Center: 972-769-4404
  • Oak Point Park Nature & Retreat Center: 972-941-5414

4. Who is responsible for screening walls, sidewalks, alleys and streets?

5. How do I report a dog that consistently barks late at night?

6. What should I do if I see a coyote or bobcat in the neighborhood?

7. How do I obtain a police report?

Traffic Accident Reports

Other Police Reports: Log into the Public Records Center to enter a request.

8. How do I pay a traffic citation?

Traffic and Other Fines

9. How do I sign up to receive tornado warning alerts and other emergency information?

10. How do I report a junk vehicle or other property standards issues?

11. How do I obtain a library card?

12. What is required by the City when I install a water heater?

13. How do I file a claim with the City?

14. My streetlight is out. Who do I call?

15. Do I need a license to have a business in Plano?

Please phone our Building Inspections Department at 972-941-5951 and review your specific plans with them. You might need to acquire an occupancy permit. You should contact the Collin County Clerk’s Office by calling 972-424-1460, ext. 4185 or logging on to the Collin County website to see if you will need to file an Assumed Name Certificate. You should also contact the State Comptroller’s Office regarding the need for a state sales tax certificate. The Dallas office phone is 972-792-5800 or see the Texas Online Registration website.

16. Are temporary portable storage units allowed (i.e. PODS) in residential areas and if so, for how long?

Yes, you may place a temporary storage unit in your driveway for a maximum of 30 days. Please note the unit cannot be placed in the public right-of-way, such as on the street or blocking a sidewalk.

17. Is a permit required to sell alcohol in Plano?

18. Why do I see water coming out of a fire hydrant?

19. What days of the month and times of day can I currently water my lawn?

20. What steps are being taken by the City regarding the West Nile Virus?

21. How do I reserve a park pavilion or athletic field?

Reserve a Pavilion

Reserve an Athletic Field

Didn’t see your question answered above? Please feel free to check our extensive (department organized) FAQ list or submit your question here.